You may think that Provence is totally bereft of civilized food, such as Pizza. Well, do we have a surprise for you! It starts off with the correct letters, substituting an S for the Z, but then individualizes itself.
All necessary ingredients are available on the local markets, with the exception of the pastry base. You can make this yourself, it is quite easy to do, OR you can scoot over to the nearest grocery store/supermarket and buy a box of already rolled out puff pastry a.k.a pâte feuilletée
Pissaladiere French Pizza Recipe
Ingredients for a 10 inch (25 cm) pie:
- 5- 7 large red (or brown or yellow) onions and NO, there are no Vidalia’s on the market.
- A good handful ofsmall black olives (halved and pitted)
- 10-15 anchovies, fresh if you can get them or out of a tin.
- A goodish sprinkling of herbs de provençe
- Several drizzles of olive oil (extra virgin or just virgin)
- pastry/pizza base home made or purchased
- Slice all onions and caramalise in a fry pan, gently with olive oil. Be careful not to overdo this, because only one charred onion bit makes the whole lot taste bitter.
- Once caramelised and cooled off put on to the pastry bottom which yopu have placed on a slightly oiled cooky sheet..
- Place anchovies on top in a decorative pattern (like a star, or any other pattern that takes your fancy).
- Place olives around as well.
- Sprinkle generously with herbs de provençe.
- Cook in the oven at 180 degrees centigrade (about 450 Fahrenheit) for around 15 minutes. Keep your eye on it, so the pastry does not burn.
- Serve warm.
Find More Recipes at Only Provence. While vacationing in Provence and staying at one of our luxury villas in Provence enjoy our Chef Services.