- Local Knowledge
- Areas of Interest
- Weekly Markets
- Bakeries/Bread Shops
- Grocery Stores
Full of small boutiques, cafes and art galleries, this stunning village in the Vaucluse is the perfect spot for a lunch and an afternoon stroll. While it can get quite busy in the summer season, it goes on the list of “must -sees” when visiting the area, especially in July when you can spot the vibrant fields of lavender below.Its residents, who are called Gordians, are known for their rebellious spirit, having sparked medieval invasions and supported Resistance fighters during World War Two.
Please note that most restaurants in Provence do not open until 7:30 in the evening. Reservations are needed in the high season, especially for groups.
Here are many options for restaurants in Gordes - from casual to fine dining.
Most wineries are closed on Sundays and during lunch hours.
One of the best known wineries in this area is Domaine de La Verriere, located in Goult.
In neighboring Menerbes, you will find Aureto and Domaine Citadelle.
What to do in Gordes
- At the very top is the church and the castle which face out onto the hills of the Luberon
- The fabulous Abbey of Senanque is not far from Gordes. Cistercian monks still live there producing honey, lavender essence, and liqueurs.
- Just beside Gordes is the Village de Bories, an ancient hamlet of all dry-stone buildings: an incredible collection of houses, walls, barns and a variety of other enclosures, including a period silk-making shop.
Gordes Weekly Markets
Bakeries and Bread Shops in Gordes
There are two bread shops in Gordes.
- Boulangerie Cayrol Thierry
- 2 Rue de l'Église, open every day in the summer but closed on Sundays in the winters.
- Boulangerie de Mamie Jane
- Route Neuve, 84220 Gordes
Gordes Grocery Stores
Note that many grocery stores are closed Sundays and Mondays, or have limited hours on Sunday mornings.
There are a few small food shops called epiceries in Gordes. These shops will most likely close during lunch times.
There is a "supérette": Utile Gordes – Rue de la Poste
For a larger grocery store you will need to travel to Super U in Coustellet: Open from 8:30 am -7:30 pm weekdays and Saturdays. Open Sunday mornings until 12:30